Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Fear of Fear

(written last night but saved as a draft accidentally)

Fear, a chilling thrill,
Fear, a nightmare that kills.

The killer of sanity, breeding absurdity, the butchery of all rationality,
Fear is behind it all.

A state of mind beyond comprehension,
Fear.. a dark night sky of gargantuan expansion,
Dark? sometimes even painfully bright,
sinfully bright light,
piercing through shut eyes, inflicting torment....

Fear of disease...fear of the morbid state,
when the soul clings on to the mortal with much dilemma,
whether to leave or not, one doesn't know.

Fear of death, of parting from life, life so dear to those who love you,
Fear of that unearthly sight, of silent hearts, and silent nights.

Fear of silence, silence which brings the dead alive, silence feeding on your senses, siphoning out every ounce of composure...
Deathly silence, choking you, creeping into you like an evil serpent.

Fear of the evil, the ugly, the hideous..
Fear of encountering or being the unsightly being,
Fear of the abnormal, the unknown..
of uncertainty, and of a bleak past that threatens to return.

Fear of ridicule, of jeering faces and sardonic statements,

FEAR OF FACING ONE'S OWN FEARS..

It never ends, its eternal, its incessant...

Fight it with the sword of frienship.
Friendship? indeed yes..
befriend this supremely evil beast,
tell your mind, "Its just a state of mind, a grotesquely deformed version of reality"

But how will you face the fear of facing your fears?

The question remains a question...

7 Comments:

Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Bobby, an excellent question for Ash Wednesday. Death and eternity are the subjects for christians today . . . I will use your question as a meditation for my 5:00 PM homily and leave you with the words from the liturgy for today:
"Remember that you are dust -
and to dust you shall return."
Blessings,
Kate+
P.S. Love is how you face the fear of facing your fears - not a phony, sentimental love, but a compassionate love that finds its being in moral action and care for self and others. It is the outcome of "friendship" with what frightens us.

12:21 PM  
Blogger ann said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:34 PM  
Blogger VDOFan said...

Excellent post Bobby my friend.
Fear sucks ass. I couldnt've said it better myself if I tried.. We have to learn to face our fears and overcome them. If we don't we will always be afraid and looking behind our backs.

I've overcome some, some I still have, but I am much more comfortable than what I was last year or the 5 years before.

Thanks for the post.. Hope you are feeling better.

hugs Janice

12:43 PM  
Blogger ann said...

I Fear from The Flute by Sri Chinmoy

I fear to speak, I fear to speak
My tongue is killed, my heart is weak
I fear to think, I fear to think
My mind is wild and apt to sink
I fear to see, I fear to see
I eat the fruits of the ignorance-tree
I fear to love, I fear to love
A train of doubts around, above
I fear to be, I fear to be
Long dead my life of faith in me
********************************

Bobby, facing fears is life. You can rise to the challenge and have faith in yourself that you can overcome, or you retreat and let it conquer you. I believe in you; you are strong and you face your fears head on. I admire that strength.... very few possess it.

lotsa luv ann xxxx

12:44 PM  
Blogger Brandy said...

nice header :)

xxx Brandy

1:36 PM  
Blogger Nicole Wallace said...

It is the question love.

It think most are even too frightened to even comprehend the terror in facing what really scares them...

5:40 PM  
Blogger Selena Marie said...

Dear Sweet Bobby,I have many,many fears,like yourself. The only way that works( not all the time,butI keep trying) for me is, "I say to Myself,If I Don't Face This Damm Fear,Whatever It Is, HEAD ON RIGHT NOW, I Never Will Be Able To Function as a Human Being!" Try saying this ,Love, and I hope this Affirmation helps you!

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home